Wednesday, May 24, 2006


Any situation can turn to terror. The most ordinary errand can go bad.
Joan Didion, Salvador

I read this today only to return to Monday, the moment of carrying a grocery bag of wine bottles to the trash chute down my building's corridor, which caused in me that dread of a sudden turn to terror, an expectation of an expectation of pain and horror. Does "hideous lack" of natural light create this susceptibility to imagined violence? Simone Weil says the absence of chlorophyll in humans ruins us, but maybe traces crouch in our cells. Maybe it's lack of real terror, the fragility of the flesh that cuts through the mind sometimes. Too many videogames? Too much Gatorade. I need the information people to pay me a visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home